Monday, December 1, 2008

How It All Started!

I work in a busy hospital and we have always been requried to wear namebadges. I was really tired of having to clip my namebadge to something I was wearing. It was really tacky and unattractive. Then, one day, I saw a lanyard namebadge necklace. I asked the person wearing it where she got it and I was told that she made it. This got me thinking, "I can do that to!".

I decided to purchase some supplies for my beaded lanyards so I could start making my own. I had them for probably a year before I actually sat down to make anything. Not only did I start making lanyards, I started making bookmarks and jewelry.

Initially, I used glass and acrylic beads for my projects, and then I bought my first beading book. I was especially intrigued by the information and photos I saw using seed beads. I decided to invest in some magazines and in a bead weaving book by Sandra Halpenny. OH, My Stars!...I was so excited to see the patterns in her book that I started working with seed beads and crystals right away. I started with necklaces and came up with my own version of Sandras necklace designs and made bracelets and earrings to match. I could not get enough of my new found favorite...off loom beadweaving with seed beads!

As I created and designed my own items, I began to get orders from friends and family. I started selling lanyards first, then I was asked to take on the challenge of creating a design which included a creation using specific colors and beads. I was first asked to create a necklace that was made up of dragonflies and in the colors of cobalt blue and green. The final result was awsome. My customer was extatic about it and just loved it. (If you would like to get a look at my Dragon Fly Lace Necklace and Earrings, check out my website.

The next challenge I was given included a challenge I had was when a customer asked me to make a necklace in a celestial design using some carnelian moon and star stones she had picked out of a catalog. It took some creative thinking, but, once I came up with the design I was very excited. It did not take very long to make it once I came up what I was going to make. The necklace is listed on my website and it is called, "Celestial Fire Necklace". I ended up using carnelian, red agate, garnet rocailles, moon and star gold plated charms, and gold spacer beads. The final results was beautiful! I am currently working on a project which includes wedding jewelry. I will post photos once they are complete. I am so excited!

To view my website go to:
http://www.gajlsbeadsnsuch.artfire.com/

BUY HANDMADE!!!!!!

No comments: